We tried this new recipe last night for dinner and it was awesome! I am looking at the picture right now and I would eat the leftovers for lunch… and dinner … and midnight snack… and now I’m drooling.
Here is the recipe:
– 12 slices bread, any kind
– 2 pkg 8 oz – cream cheese, room temperature
– 1 c blueberries, fresh or frozen (we used fresh)
– 12 large eggs
– 2 c milk
– 1/3 c maple syrup or honey
– 1 c sugar
– 2 Tbsp cornstarch
– 1 c water
– 1 c blueberries, fresh or frozen
– 2 Tbsp butter
1. French Toast Casserole: Spray 9 x 13 dish with Pam. Cut or tear bread into cubes and arrange in the bottom of dish.
2. Cut up cream cheese into 1 in cubes. Drop the cream cheese cubes over the top of the bread. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the top.
3. In mixing bowl, combine 12 eggs, 2 cups milk, 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey. Pour this mixture, a little at a time until the bread soaks up the milk but not soggy. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. (We did not refrigerate at all, we just made the whole recipe straight through)
4. Blueberry Sauce: You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate, then warm up before serving.
5. Stir together 1 cup sugar and 2 Tbls cornstarch in a medium sauce pan. Add 1 cup water and stir until smooth. Stir well so cornstarch won’t be clumpy. Heat to boiling and stir 2-3 minutes until thickened.
6. Add 1 cup blueberries, simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until blueberries start to burst. Turn off the heat when you still have blueberries left that haven’t burst. (We kept most of ours whole)
7. Turn heat off the blueberry sauce and stir in 2 Tbsp butter. Store and refrigerate until ready to use. (Again, we just made this and left it on the stove while cooking casserole)
8. The next morning preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take casserole out of the refrigerator. Place covered cassrole in a 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake for another 15-30 minutes or until top is a golden brown and the center is set.
9. While the casserole is baking, you can heat up the blueberry sauce on top of the oven or microwave until warm. Serve over top of casserole.
I think it’s a winner 🙂
Thank You for the blueberry casserole, it is yummy.