As a parent you spend time talking to your spouse about your roles as parents, discipline techniques, and how to do what is best for your child. You talk to other parents about how they handle tantrums, what brand of pacifier they prefer, and potty training tips. You read books or take classes to help you excel in parenting.
You call your mom at 4am because your baby has a 104* fever, even though your mom is 2 hours away, cant to anything for you but worry, and you know she most likely won’t go back to sleep because she feels bad for you and baby. You also know she will say a prayer for you and check in with you the next day. You aspire to be just like your amazing mom someday. (GUILTY!)
I have made my share of mistakes as a Mom. I have made mistakes by taking other Mom’s advice, or by living out what I read in a book. I could give you every piece of parenting advice that I have, and it could have the potential to be wrong for you and your child.
If you have ever made a mistake as a Mom, and you feel guilty about it… or if you are a perfect mom and have never made a mistake and need to come down to reality… here is my humbling list of mistakes I have made over the last 17 months. (True to Cassi-form, it is a list):
1. We went to a track meet about an hour and a half away when Adelynn was about 1 month old. It was a cold meet so she was bundled up in her car seat most of the time. We took her out to change her diaper and laid her back in without buckling her since we were going back to the bleachers. Well… she stayed bundled up just like that all the way home! We got home and realized we never buckled her!
2. I was helping her down the stairs one day when our hands slipped apart. I watched helplessly as she slid down the last 3 stairs on her own.
3. When she was about 7 months old, I was changing her diaper in the rocking chair. Her legs were dangling off the edge while I turned around to get a diaper. Next I heard was a huge THUD and a sudden pain cry. She had kicked her legs hard enough that she flipped herself and landed face-first on the floor. We cried about it together.
4. We were playing outside one day. Adelynn had her favorite basketball. I looked down at my phone for a second and she was running and was almost to our street with a car coming. (Fortunately, the car was paying attention.) I have never run so fast in my life!
5. One night recently I was on my own for bath time. Dave and I usually do it together and have a system worked out. On this particular night, I took Adelynn out of the tub and shut the bathroom door on the way out. I put her jammies on in her room and gave her a bottle. While I was cleaning her room up, she disappeared. I assumed she was playing in the living room. When I went to find her, she had opened the bathroom door (the latch sucks), and climbed in the bathtub, bottle and all! I almost had a heart attack!!
(So I did what every responsible adult would do… got the camera!)
I know in Motherhood I am absolutely not alone. I’ve made my mistakes and that won’t be the end of them. Feel free to share yours with me! Unless you’re perfect, in which case… quit reading and go pay attention to your child 🙂